Here it is the stress reliever. My blog. It’s true self-expression helps managing stress.
Other than that, lets take a deeper look. The foundation is that both good and bad stress exists. What does that mean? Do you remember when you ate so much sweet things (cakes, candies, donuts ….) that your stomach hurts? Well I have done that several times when i was a toddler. Point being is that too much of everything is bad for your health. Too much sweet, too much salt, too much rest, too much pleasure, too much pain. There is that sweet spot however that it makes it manageable. And that is where you find yourself benefiting to from stress and actually your mood rises. Why? Because you are happy that you are doing things you usually do not want to.
Here is a little bit science, Kelly McGonigal, talks for accepting stress as a something good. believing that stress is actually making you ready to encounter your life challenges better is a life changer. It is a fact due to multiple researches that stress makes your body more prepared. That heartbeat pounding, your palms sweating your breath increasing and so on. It will open your heart and vessels and you won’t and your oxygenation will be more effective. You decrease the risk of dying from heart attack, just because you believe that stress helps you.
Talking about science lets see how our nervous system works. There are a few hormones involved with stress. These are adrenaline, norepinephrine and cortisol, considered as the stress hormones.
- We all know what adrenaline does, making us hyper alert and prepared to fight or flee. It is produced in the kidneys. It’s release happens in case our brain recognizes a danger. But it is actually released from your adrenal glands. That’s when you start sweating, breathing heavily, because your heartbeat is increased dramatically.
- Norepinephrine is similar to adrenaline, it is also released from your adrenal glands. It is also called Noradrenaline. It’s function is to make you sharper and ready for action. Your muscles get more tense and your pupils in your eyes get more wider. Just like you are going to fight after a few drinks in the bar.
- And Cortisol is a hormone that is responsible for our stress crisis. It is able to regulate our diet, by increasing or decreasing our digest. Also it influence your blood pressure, libido and immune system. managing our cortisol levels is essential for our body to function properly. Optimal levels of cortisol is very subjective to say how much is enough. To make sure however we are not running crazy it’s helpful to add a few antioxidants to our diet.
- Also oxytocin is a hormone that is involved with stress. It is stimulating our stress reduction. It is a considered built-in mechanism to the body regulating our stress levels and making us more resilient. It is released when we interact with other human beings. and that’s why it’s also called “social hormon”. Whenever we hug people, share our stories and problems or listening and helping others we release more oxytocin. And as a result it makes us more happy and empathetic.
Our mood is being affected by hormones, which are first causing us to feel certain emotions. Neuroscience is very broad topic , but as far as my knowledge goes in the moment the limbic system controls big part of it. This is our amygdala generating signals that provoke is to feel or do certain things in registered danger, with other words “stress”.
We can manage our emotions, but we can’t control our hormonal effects.
Of course, there are some exceptions here. Hormones are made from cholesterol and we manage our cholesterol levels in that case by modifying our diet. Otherwise, we can not influence hormones internally. And it is also true that some bodybuilder take a hormones as an external chemical form.
The infamous antioxidants that helps us maintain our good mood.
As far as antioxidants are being famous with their power to reduce stress I will give you some examples.
- Blueberries and other berries, like cranberries and blackberries
- Alcohol in small quantities – beer and red wine
- Green Tea
- Herbs like ginger, basil, clove
I hope this post was helpful. Let me know what you think down in the comment section.